WE BELIEVE ALL BABIES SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO CLEAN DIAPERS.
The JLA Diaper Bank was founded in 2018 and is the only Diaper Bank serving the Albuquerque Metro area. Run by our volunteer members, the Diaper Bank collects, purchases, and packs diapers for our community partners across the Albuquerque Metro Area. Our partners place monthly orders and receive diapers at no cost, to distribute to their clients. Through these partnerships, we are able to distribute thousands of diapers annually.
We are proud members of the National Diaper Bank Network, a national organization of banks working to end period poverty in local communities.
What Is Diaper Need?
Diaper need is the lack of a sufficient amount of diapers to keep a baby clean, dry, and healthy.
This is an issue affecting 1 in 2 families in our community.
Diapers are material basic necessities all children require, as essential as food, shelter, and clothing. Yet, most state and national safety-net programs do not recognize diapers as a basic need.
DIAPER NEED FACTS
Diaper Need is serious issue affecting families in New Mexico. According to the National Diaper Bank Network:
- 1 in 3 American families report experiencing diaper need.
- Diapers cannot be obtained with food stamps.
- Disposable diapers cost $70 to $80 per month per baby.
- No state or federal child safety-net program allocates dollars specifically for the purchase of diapers.
- Without transportation, buying diapers at a convenience store rather than a large “big box” store can significantly increase the monthly cost of diapers.
- Infants require up to 12 diapers per day, toddlers about 8.
CONSEQUENCE OF DIAPER NEED
- A recent study conducted by NDBN and Huggies found that parents who struggled with diaper need missed an average of four days of work a month.
- Babies who remain too long in a soiled diaper are exposed to potential health risks.
- Most child care centers, even free and subsidized facilities, require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers.
- Many parents cannot go to work or school if they can’t leave their babies at child care.
As the only Diaper Bank operating in the Albuquerque Metro Area, we need your help to fight diaper need.
100% of your gift will be used to support the JLA Diaper Bank including, but not limited to, purchasing essential supplies for the Diaper Bank, including diapers, wipes, and diaper cream at discounted prices.
JLA Diaper Bank accepts open or unopened packs of diapers and unopened diaper creams and wipes, Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for your donation.
Shop the Diaper Bank Wish List on Amazon and have the items of greatest need shipped directly to us.
Individuals in the community can host Diaper Drives at their work places, schools, religious organizations, or special events. Drives help collect diapers, wipes, and diaper cream, and bring awareness to the issue of diaper need. Complete this Diaper Drive Application to host a diaper drive.